What is the best site or program for making a family cookbook with pictures??

I would like to make a cookbook of family recipes for mother's day. I had in mind recipes illustrated with a picture of the family member associated with them "Grandma's apple pie" etc. Can anyone recommend a website that is inexpensive, but produces high quality images? I only want to print 2, but I would like other family members to be able to order one if they choose...

asked by lloreen over 6 years ago

softpunk

Check out http://blurb.com

babytiger

Blurb is a good option. You have a lots of control over the layout, and good options for choosing book sizes and such. The images are of very high quality. Your book is saved so you can go and add recipes or make changes at a later time if you wish. You can also make it public so other people can order your book through the website. I really do like the flexibility.

We had some issues with using a black background for the books though. There were streaks on some of the pages. We did get replacement copies without much of an issue. If you make your book with a white background, you shouldn't have the same issue we had.

Panfusine

I've made my recipes into books via the photobooks from Shuterfly..

angiegeyser

I would also recommend Shutterfly.

Megan,Tremer

I used Lulu.com last year to make 10 copies of a 200 pg cookbook. It was spiral bound but black and white. Worked out to $11 each. I was happy with the site and as a bonus they hosted both the book for sale so anyone could buy a copy and a downloadable PDF so I have it on my iPad now. Best of luck!

WannabeBaker

Here's a second for blurb.com. I really liked it.

I stumbled on this the other day: http://cookbookcafe.com/ -- "The New Grassroots Way to Publish & Shop for Cookbooks", which is a platform for publishing, and not a print service. It seems quite interesting, though of course I have not tried it so I can't tell you how it works. I do note however that the International Association of Culinary Professionals IACP nominated the tool as “Most Intriguing Use of New Technology” in 2012. I for one am very interested in it. I plan to build some time into my schedule to use it for organizing my vast collection of disparate recipes into my own personal cookbook. I've been taming that paper tiger (to quote an organizing handbook of the same name) over the past month or so, and am just at the point where I'm ready to integrate my hard copy recipe files with my digital files, so the timing of the launch of this product could not have been more perfect. I'll report back as the project advances. ;o)

Miafoodie

My friend gave me a copy of her personalized cookbook done by TasteBook.com. They did an amazing job!!

Emma Loggins

Check out http://CreateMyCookbook... - I love their software. Super easy to use :)

Sarah S

I like http://copymethat.com/cookbook.... For me it was a big plus that I didn't have to download anything. it's all online.

Sarah

I love heritage cookbook.com. So easy to use and the quality of the books is amazing!

Sarah

Suzanne Pantzer

I just made a family cookbook using createmybookbook.com. I am a regular Shutterfly user, but I wanted to be able to make a spiral or binder for the cookbook so that it would stand up with use and not lose pages. I am very happy with the cookbook and that I don't have to pay for my it to stay on the site in case I want to alter or reorder it later. Also, they knocked themselves out in response to a concern I had in the shipping of the product. I found their prices to be very good.

Cupcake007

You can make a free cookbook at BakeSpace -- http://www.bakespace.com... - here's one we made - http://www.bakespace.com... and so far 1800 people have downloaded it. It's a free cookbook and digital (way easier than printing a cookbook) ... so everyone in your family can see it. You can also sell your cookbook too.

Deborah D

This was posted 5 years ago. Any newer possibilities?

Vanessa Boucher

Hi Deborah,

Blurb is still good but you can also check out this reference: https://everpresent.com...

Scott F

Do any of the cookbook publishers import from recipe managers, such as Paprika?

Michele Jacobson

I just wrote both a Family Cookbook, and then an article on the process. Thank you to all on this stream for direction to a lot of sources! After signing up for all and previewing them, I have to say that CreateMyCookbook is a fantastic site and easy to use. Nothing to download and great customer support, too. The process is very streamlined and not overwhelming at all. Blurb definitely offers infinite options, however you can get lost in the details. Heritagecookbook is a wonderful site, however the pay aspect is something I didn't like, unless you (a) think you can complete your project in under 30 days (I couldn't!), or (b) are doing a fundraising or non-profit cookbook. If that's the case, then go with Heritage! Cookbookcafe is an amazing site and I can't wait to get started with it, but it is an on-line platform only; no hard copy cookbooks available if that's what you are looking for. End result: my advice is to go with CreateMyCookbook. I was really happy with their product!