Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

What's the best apple for making pie? I don't want mushy apples!

asked by @miglorious about 4 years ago
40679432 73ff 4750 a825 013d50b38006  onionavatar
Michael Hoffman

Software Engineer at Food52

Granny Smiths are classic and tasty!

Granny Smiths have only become "classic" in the past 10 years. before that they were not around very widely. They are native to New Zealand.

Personally I don't care for pies made with them. I find those apples too tart and too hard. I prefer Cortland, Golden Delicious, Gala, HoneyCrisp. all of these apples taste better to me on their own, and thus produce a tastier pie (that needs less sugar added!)

Virtually any apple in the market will make you a good pie EXCEPT for Red Delicious, which are way too mealy to start witn.

My mom always used MacIntoshes. Most folks say they're too watery, but her pies were always exemplary!

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I would use a Gala instead of G-Smith. Stay away from Macintosh and Delicious.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I agree with ChefJune on Granny Smiths--I've never thought they deserved a reputation as a good baking apple,. They certainly do keep their shape, and that may be what you are going for. For me, unless I'm picking the apples in my back yard or somewhere else with limited variety, I try for a mix of some apples that hold their shapes and some that don't. So a Macintosh or two can find its way into the mix, even though bigpan would be right in not making an all-Mac pie. Especially not you, since you're avoiding mush!

see

MITZU. These are large green, juicy, sweet apples that come in in October in the northeast. They cook up well, peel easily and taste divine in apple pies. You do not need to add lots of sugar, but do add a bit of flour or tapioca for the juices. Once you try them you will be hooked.

I am lucky enough to live in New England where I go to the orchard and ask what's currently available and best for cooking. Some apples (like macs) fall apart when baked so they are best for sauce, and some are too tart or too sweet depending on your taste and how much sugar is in the recipe. Talk to your farmer or grocer and tell them what you like, they will be able to help you choose the best one.