🔕 🔔

How do I cook a rack of goat?

asked by linzarella over 7 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

You can cook a rack of goat the way you cook a rack of lamb. It's a little smaller so it will cook faster. Use lots of woodsy herbs, like thyme and rosemary, and lemon.

4481c0a1 cdd8 4bcd afe3 206f7b1688a9  goatribchops.1

Bc343245 99fb 4d2b 8579 9bf9c485181e  me

Goat also has much less fat than either beef or lamb - something like 50-60% less at least (I'm talking standard grain-finished beef here). So while the flavor will be reminiscent of lamb (depending on the age of the goat), it will cook faster due to the lower fat (just like grass-fed beef cooks faster than grain-finished beef). It can also be tougher, for the same reason. So I would marinade it before cooking in an oil based marinade with garlic and herbs that go well with lamb, and I would cook it more slowly at a lower heat than you would use for lamb. I suggest an herby rub as well. Lastly, if you're interested - as I know you're here in the Bay Area, I'm putting together a goat butchering and demonstration cooking class October 30 at Nick's Cove in the Point Reyes area. The chef at Nick's Cove will do the demo and I'm working with him on the menu now. You can sign up through www.malt.org (the web site for Marin Agricultural Land Trust).

Hi linzarella! I was just on a website for a goat ranch in Petaluma who is selling their meat at the Farmer's Market at the Ferry Building in SF. They offer up some great looking recipes and ways to cook goat on their site, including one for a rack of goat with a mint pesto. You might want to check it out at www.rossottiranch.com.