Right goat milk for making chèvre?

Can I use ultra pasteurized goat milk for making fresh goat cheese?

asked by puresugar about 6 years ago

puresugar, I emailed one of our members who's very experienced with making cheese. Hope she'll weigh in, or that another cheesemaker will soon!

Per Mary Karlin, author of Artisan Cheese Making at Home ultra-pasteurized milk won't work. It won't form proper curds. http://www.artisancheesemakingathome.com/cheesemaking-milk.html
I'm pretty sure Trader Joe's carries regular pasteurized goat milk.

puresugar

Thank you! That's the book I'm using, but I didn't make a specific note on my grocery list. I was at WF, but I passed TJ on the way home (darn)! What can I make with the UP goat milk instead?

Cajeta! http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=242

puresugar

Just made some cajeta with that Rick Bayless recipe. Wow! It's awesome! I'm eating some right now over yogurt. Thank you!

Yum! Glad you found a good use for your goat's milk!

Hillary Huber

Hello. I came across this post researching what to do with some ultra-pasteurized goat milk I bought. I had planned on making traditional cultured chevre, but accidentally bought ultra-pasteurized goat milk. I wanted to find a good way to use the ultra-pasteurized milk, and came across this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.... I noticed that the author used Meyenberg goat milk, the same ultra-pasteurized kind I had, so I went for it. I am impressed with the result. My cheese has a consistency between cream cheese and ricotta. 1/2 gallon of milk made 12 oz of cheese (1.5 cups). It's delicious. In the future, I will try to find goat milk that hasn't been ultra-pasteurized, but when ultra is all that's available, the simple goat cheese recipe I found works great!