A question about a recipe: Salmon in Sorrel Sauce

F8b98f08 07c5 4bd4 9ed0 c6c95ebed0b2  051810f 157

I have a question about the ingredient "chervil" on the recipe "Salmon in Sorrel Sauce" from MrsWheelbarrow.
What is Chervil ? Where can I get it..

asked by kenito over 6 years ago

sstiavetti

Chervil is a very "green" herb, which tastes somewhat like parsley mixed with a little tarragon. It's got frond-y leaves, and can be often be found in farmers markets (in season) and in specialty grocery stores that have a well-stocked herb section. If you can't find it, substitute parsley.

Here's a link: http://www.herbcompanion...

A little more on chervil: It's an essential ingredient in the herb blend known as "Fines Herbes." And it's hard to find and even harder to grow! (although I try every year). Parsley can be used as a sub, but it really doesn't taste much like chervil. In fact, both are in Fines Herbes.

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

What they said. I grow chervil briefly between april and June and again in early fall. It's very bright and green. Parsley is the only substitute and a poor one at that.

Just a little more chat, more than you might want or need, but I'm huge chervil fan. Chervil is delicate, so it's not so commonly available in the States. But it's worth getting or growing. It is the green in Eel in Green Sauce that's a Belgian classic and can make a beautiful green and tasty soup--such water or broth, butter, a potato, a little leek, and a big bunch of chervil.

Slow Cooked Pittsburgh

I totally agree with all of the above, worth growing if you can, I try it every year, sometimes have success, but usually... It is one of the few herbs (along with summer savory, to make my own herbs de provence) that I buy in dried form, I love chervil and it is wonderful to use when cooking rice with stock (use stock instead of water and add a teaspoon or so of dried chervil while it boils).

mainecook61

Easy to grow. I start it inside as it's slow to germinate sometimes. It dislikes very hot weather.

When I can get a big bunch of chervil, I like to make chervil breadcrumbs (keeps well in the freezer door). They make a delicious quickie dinner out of simple white fleshed fish.

Just to add to what the others have said, it is a very good fish herb. I'm thinking wild caught salmon or trout and not the farm raised stuff.