I have a recipe I'd like to try with salmon. It calls for canned salmon and I have fresh. Can I substitute with fresh? Do I need to cook it before?

asked by lafeeverte85 over 7 years ago

Verdigris

What is the recipe, in brief? That would help provide and appropriate answer.

I would think you would need to poach it to simulate canned ... the nice thing is you can add flavor in the poaching liquid and jazz up your recipe

Absolutely you can substitute fresh, and in fact it would be preferred for flavor. If you have a sharp knife handy you can shave it down to whatever consistancy works for your dish.

nutcakes

Yes, I use fresh instead of canned in Medeterranean Salmon cakes which is a delicious Cooking Light recipe. I cook it lightly first. Poach or oven bake is fine.

innoabrd

yes, for just about anything. There are, however, some things that canned fish works best for, IMNSHO. My wife won't do a salad nicoise with anything other than tinned tuna!

And a brava! to Mrs. innoabrd. One thing that drives me nuts is to see salad nicoise on a menu proudly made with pan seared ahi tuna. Canned Spanish tuna is the real deal.