🔕 🔔

I have a recipe I'd like to try with salmon. It calls for canned salmon and I have fresh. Can I substitute with fresh? Do I need to cook it before?

asked by lafeeverte85 over 7 years ago

B6a74962 31fc 4e50 b866 0ea34483cfb8  fb avatar

What is the recipe, in brief? That would help provide and appropriate answer.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I would think you would need to poach it to simulate canned ... the nice thing is you can add flavor in the poaching liquid and jazz up your recipe

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

Absolutely you can substitute fresh, and in fact it would be preferred for flavor. If you have a sharp knife handy you can shave it down to whatever consistancy works for your dish.

Yes, I use fresh instead of canned in Medeterranean Salmon cakes which is a delicious Cooking Light recipe. I cook it lightly first. Poach or oven bake is fine.

yes, for just about anything. There are, however, some things that canned fish works best for, IMNSHO. My wife won't do a salad nicoise with anything other than tinned tuna!

And a brava! to Mrs. innoabrd. One thing that drives me nuts is to see salad nicoise on a menu proudly made with pan seared ahi tuna. Canned Spanish tuna is the real deal.