🔕 🔔

What's the best grind for coffee made in a French Press Pot?

Would it differ for dark or expresso roast beans and lighter roast? Still seeking the perfect combination of variables! (Using a Pavoni grinder)

asked by susan g over 5 years ago

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Just course enough that you can still push the plunger. That's my rule of thumb.

B8f19483 b6dd 4ee8 b288 d1e5d79af410  face

Mr. Vittles- you are amazing! Excellent answer!

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

Thank you allans. I also use the Clever Coffee Dripper, the Beehouse, the Hario V60, the Aeropress, the aforementioned Espro Press, Bodum Chambord, Bodum Brazil, the Melitta Go-Joe, the Ibrik/Turkish coffee, and the Bialetti pot. So, if you have any questions on how to make a cuppa, ask away.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Yes, excellent answers. We'll be testing -- and trying Sumatran beans, as suggested on another recent question.

Can't wait to hear your results, susan g! I use more coffee than Mr. Vittles, more like 7 grams per 6 ounce "cup," (though I haven't weighed or measured recently), with a 4-minute brew, I've seen advice with even more, on the order of 10 grams per cup. I also prefer darker roasts than he does. And I even really don't mind a little grit! Using a French press is so easy--you'll quickly figure out what suits you best.

Your input was very successful! He is grinding the coffee a little more coarse than drip, watching the water temperature, and steeping it 3 - 5 minutes in the Bodum pot, very happily. Now, confession: In 1987 we opened a restaurant where all coffee service was in the Bodum press pot, with water drawn from our professional expresso machine, using the customer's choice of beans which we ground -- it was heavenly coffee. Since then, he's never been happy with the coffee he makes, til now, thanks to you!
Down side of glass press pots in a restaurant. As small as it was, we couldn't prevent breakage, and the cost of replacing the glass was expensive. It was a short lived business, but memorable.