🔕 🔔

Can u make meatloaf without breadcrumbs?

asked by heiwei over 5 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Yes, but it might be a little dense.

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

A "kibbe" is a lamb dish that is similar to a meatloaf but uses cracked bulgar wheat...are you avoiding the bread crumbs because you don't have them in the pantry or are you looking for a gluten free option?

B72e8963 f945 4820 a4e6 f73bfc674bba  fb avatar

Cooking for someone who is gf. I make my meatballs without any crumbs, but was worried about proportion with a meat loaf. Thanks for the insight! Ps: now I'm craving kibbe.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

You can use quinoa flakes, a good thing to have in the whole grain/GF toolbox. They also make a 'crumb' topping, by mixing with your fingers the flakes with oil or soft butter and grated hard cheese.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

In Julia Child's recipe she used cooked rice, no breadcrumbs. Really works - love that recipe. If I wasn't so lazy I would get up and source the recipe for you. If you are interested send me a message and I will give you her recipe and the book it comes from.

671b6c39 4898 435f 92c5 89cd9b925088  img 3788

I made quinoa meatloaf (add cooked quinoa to the meat mixture instead of bread). It was a little softer and more crumbly than traditional meatloaf, but it tasted great and was gluten free and lower-carb. This was the version I made, but I did it with beaf instead of turkey: http://www.theperfectpantry...

Alternatively, you could go for meatloaf pâté which is denser and richer. Just cut thinner slices and serve more veggies...
http://dinersjournal.blogs...

That is how I always do it. Use veggies . It makes it healthier & super moist. Also more flavor