Can u make meatloaf without breadcrumbs?

asked by heiwei over 6 years ago

Yes, but it might be a little dense.

lorigoldsby

A "kibbe" is a lamb dish that is similar to a meatloaf but uses cracked bulgar wheat...are you avoiding the bread crumbs because you don't have them in the pantry or are you looking for a gluten free option?

heiwei

Cooking for someone who is gf. I make my meatballs without any crumbs, but was worried about proportion with a meat loaf. Thanks for the insight! Ps: now I'm craving kibbe.

You can use quinoa flakes, a good thing to have in the whole grain/GF toolbox. They also make a 'crumb' topping, by mixing with your fingers the flakes with oil or soft butter and grated hard cheese.

In Julia Child's recipe she used cooked rice, no breadcrumbs. Really works - love that recipe. If I wasn't so lazy I would get up and source the recipe for you. If you are interested send me a message and I will give you her recipe and the book it comes from.

lloreen

I made quinoa meatloaf (add cooked quinoa to the meat mixture instead of bread). It was a little softer and more crumbly than traditional meatloaf, but it tasted great and was gluten free and lower-carb. This was the version I made, but I did it with beaf instead of turkey: http://www.theperfectpantry...

Alternatively, you could go for meatloaf pâté which is denser and richer. Just cut thinner slices and serve more veggies...
http://dinersjournal.blogs...

klfnwf

That is how I always do it. Use veggies . It makes it healthier & super moist. Also more flavor