🔕 🔔

Another Panko breadcrumb question . . . . if I have a recipe (a meatloaf recipe, to be precise) that calls for Panko breadcrumbs, but I want to make it for someone who cannot eat wheat -- though gluten is not an issue -- what should I use instead? Thanks, everyone! ;o)

asked about 7 years ago

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825

You could grate a potato or use some rice instead. Or just omit entirely.

Ddd52943 cdf0 4edb a2d4 73aa286607f0  399571 2853636453848 1694221275 n

Pesach crumbs!! They work beautifully for a substitute.

Dbcf5665 19b4 4e7b 8680 ad7282364279  pkz850s

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I've successfully used oatmeal in meatloaf recipes.

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

Oatmeal works great but I consider it in the grain family, cooked millet adds a nutty touch, and you can make it with no bread or grain fillers at all, just meat. The bread is for stretching small amounts of meat to feed more. It is not a binder so you can go without easily.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

See my previous answer--rice krispies!! (Although I think of Panko as something I use for added crunch...why would a meatloaf recipe call for Panko?)

73cd846c b69c 41fe 8f8b 7a3aa8dd3b93  desert

Lots of info for you here but I just wanted to say the only time I use breadcrumbs when making meatloaf is when a get the mixture too wet. I like to add onion by liquifying in the food processor raw and adding it that way. So sometimes when eyeballing wet ingredients I make it a litte too wet to hold a form. ( I don't you use a measured recipe just an ingredient list)

253bf469 1fbf 4f08 a572 3dc09b33bb7c  aliya leekong 3a

You could use rice flour, quinoa flour, or gluten-free cornmeal? Not all cornmeal is gluten-free. You just need something to absorb any excess moisture and bind - not so much for texture. Cornmeal might be delicious!

I must say this one thing as thirsfeld has already said. Bread is not a binder, egg is. But if done properly with the correct amount of fat and moisture you shouldn't need a binder because meatloaf is a force meat just like sausage therefore it is an emulsion. A properly mixed emulsion should not need a binder. But to play it safe you could add egg. Again bread is not a binder. Any thoughts pierino?