I'm making a meatloaf but out of eggs. What can I use as a binder.

asked by baystate over 7 years ago

Raquelita

i have never made meatloaf, but when i make veggie burgers/loaves i use mashed potato and cornmeal.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

You can try extra breadcrumbs or oatmeal...I've done both in the past when either out of eggs or don't have enough. A little grated parmesan is good depending on what type of loaf you're making.

You can soak bread or breadcrumbs in milk or buttermilk, and squeeze out excess milk before you put breadcrums in. Have a friends who uses crackers and soaks them in ketchup or barbecue sauce to use as a binder. Depends on your recipe.

Use a packet of unflavored gelatin in 1/2 cup of stock. Along with some more bread crumbs or crushed crackers. And about a 1/2 cup of jack cheese---shredded fine and frozen and then crumbled in the mix.

This is good for meatloaf with egg too..but only a tsp of gelatin. Replaces the fat normally found in veal/beef/pork mixture when you make an all beef meatloaf.

ATG117

I was watching aartipaarti on the food network this morning, and she was making kebabs. She uses a bit of baking soda, noting it's used to bind chopped meat. II've never tried it, but it looks as though it works for her. Here's the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork...