Can I successfully freeze leftover canned crushed tomatoes?

I have half a large can left, and it feels wrong to throw them away. Will freezing for use later be detrimental to the flavor/texture? Thanks!

asked by Fifer over 6 years ago

davidpdx

Go ahead. Depending on what you want to do with them in the future, they may get a bit mushier in texture. Since they are crushed anyway, it shouldn't make any difference in, for example, a cooked sauce. I agree; no point in wasting food; just pack in zipper freezer bags for convenience.

sstiavetti

Yes, you can. They'll be a little gooshier after you freeze them, but they should freeze just fine for up to a month. Just make sure to get as much air out as possible.

Fifer

Thanks all! Into the freezer they go...