Beef Stroganoff

What is the best meat to use for beef stroganoff

asked by middlej over 6 years ago

Miranda Rake
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

My father always made it with veal, but here, food52er bevi calls for NY strip steak, which I bet is delicious!

As always, questions like this are a great way to get to know your butcher!

ChefOno

Depends on what you mean by "best". Traditionally it's tenderloin. Flap meat makes an good, less expensive alternative. My personal favorite is flat iron steak -- both tender and economical.

allans

I always use tenderloin. When I can buy an entire tenderloin on sale, I divide it into medallions, steaks, a roast and trim some up for Stroganoff.

bigpan

I have always used strips of NY strip steak for the flavor you don't get with tenderloin. Also, I add thin cut strips of dill pickle. Mushrooms, onion, sour cream - and you are done.

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks