🔕 🔔

Beef Stroganoff

What is the best meat to use for beef stroganoff

asked by middlej over 5 years ago

B5d4c31e d9a4 4f0e ae4e ecaa0cf95de6  dsc 0253 2
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

My father always made it with veal, but here, food52er bevi calls for NY strip steak, which I bet is delicious!

As always, questions like this are a great way to get to know your butcher!

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Depends on what you mean by "best". Traditionally it's tenderloin. Flap meat makes an good, less expensive alternative. My personal favorite is flat iron steak -- both tender and economical.

B8f19483 b6dd 4ee8 b288 d1e5d79af410  face

I always use tenderloin. When I can buy an entire tenderloin on sale, I divide it into medallions, steaks, a roast and trim some up for Stroganoff.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I have always used strips of NY strip steak for the flavor you don't get with tenderloin. Also, I add thin cut strips of dill pickle. Mushrooms, onion, sour cream - and you are done.