🔕 🔔

Creative uses for leftovers?

asked by Brette Warshaw about 6 years ago

Chef Lisa

Bubble & squeak.

Verdigris

As an opening gambit at our house, we do not call items left from a meal "leftovers". We call them ingredients. It changes ones attitude about how to handle them.

Verdigris

Most "ingredients" remaining after a meal can be transformed into nice soups with a little chopping, the addition of cream or broth, and refreshing of herbs and spices. If the combination of flavors worked well as a meal, they are usually tasty as a soup. A stick blender can transform a chunky soup into a smooth tasty puree.

Loke

Start with whatever fresh veggie is most ready and work your way out from there.

beyondcelery

Fry up a tortilla and stuff it with your leftovers, dusted with cheese. Obviously, this depends on what kind of leftovers you have, and I suggest being careful about which cheese you pair with what, but it works surprisingly well. I've also been known to bake a pie dish with chopped potatoes in the bottom in a pool of olive oil, with leftovers scattered on top. Cheese and beaten egg over the top of that will turn the whole thing into a sort of quiche. Again, it depends on your leftovers. Even meatloaf is good this way.

savory sharer

SOUP...broth from the freezer or a box, a starch= beans,pasta,barley, veggies, veggies, veggies,leftover meat, pick a cuisine and add spices and fresh herbs, sometimes I add pesto or any flavorful fresh addition at the end.

Soup, hash, sandwiches,shepherds pie,salad. I guess it depends on what the leftover is.

meganvt01

I like to turn the leftover veggies from the night before into a crostini for an appetizer the next day. Roasted or grilled veggies - tossed with balsamic, basil, evoo, whatever nice soft cheese you have around. Top on garlic rubbed toasts with evoo.

Panfusine

Yesterday's roast potatoes, mashed up re seasoned & grilled between 2 slices of bread with some cheese.
Yesterdays left over soup added to caramelized onion and canned beans to make a quick chilli.

I think Whole foods Market has a contest on this theme running now..

Without knowing what leftover is left it's hard to answer. But I've used various things as ravioli or tortellone filling. In the interests of saving time and money (which we assume that's what the is suggesting) I will occasionally use won ton wrappers. And I use bisquit cutters to acheive an appropriate beginning shape. Empanadas are another alternative.