🔕 🔔

It freezes very very well. I own a home in Bucks County, PA, and our fantastic local orchard freezes their cider for sale throughout the winter (Solebury Orchards-you rock!). Its delicious and I can detect absolutely no degradation in flavor or composition. I'd recommend two other uses-first in baking, there are a number of great apple cider based recipes including cakes and donuts. The other is a pan sauce. Here's my recipe for a quick pan sauce "al Normandy" for pork-chops: Preheat your oven to 350. Brown two porkchops in a skillet, remove to a clean plate. Saute one sliced apple in the pan until removing the crunch from them. Deglaze the pan with a few tablespoons of wine (or if you have Calvados), until basically evaporated. Add 1/2 cup of apple cider, let it reduce. Chops back into the pan and into the oven to finish(I take them out at 130/135 degrees on a quick read thermometer). Remove chops and apple slices to rest. Continue to reduce the sauce on the stove top, turn off heat and swirl in a tablespoon of butter or cream to finish.

Wholefoods user icon

King Arthur Flour sells fancy bottles of apple cider concentrate, I'm thinking you should make your own. Simmer on the stove until it is the consistency you'd want to add flavor to pies and other recipes without adding too much moisture. Pancakes and breakfast-y things would benefit from a swirl or drizzle of this as well! Then store in fridge or freeze depending on how fast you think you'll use it up.

I've tried a recipe for white bean soup with kielbasa that used cider instead of water for cooking. Dried (presoaked) beans were combined with the sausage and cider and cooked until the beans were done. There was thyme in it and maybe a fried onion. Surprisingly delicious and easy. If my cider was super sweet I might substitute water or stock for some of it.

JAC

I like Meaghan F's answer. I often use apple cider in by pork braises.
Also, I reduce it and use it in place of vinegar in salad dressings. Have you ever opened a dinner menu with a salad only to have the vinegar in the dressing throw off the taste of the wine?
That can be avoided by reducing apple cider and using it in place of vinegar in the dressing. It will have enough acid to add brightness for most greens but you can a tiny splash of cider vinegar if you feel you need a boost.

I suggest the following baked apple recipe - it's great! http://food52.com/recipes...

Be8ed328 ee5d 45b1 b410 ca0e42f8d1f6  dsc00364
Carol Blymire

Carol is a gluten-free chef and food blogger currently cooking her way through the Alinea Cookbook.

Add it to queso! Ro-Tel, Velveeta, cumin, chili powder, and a good glug or two of cider. SO SO SO SO GOOD!

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

Or -- my choice -- let it ferment and drink it! ;-)

I have used it in this recipe for Venison Shoulder from Chef John Besh. It is fantastic! http://www.fieldandstream...

Ff459733 0c1a 4bbe a470 ded11c0103f1  wickedgood

I would support the cider-for-soup crowd, but with what I think is a better taste match to the sweetness -- carrot soup! Personally I love this one: http://www.epicurious.com...

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

I was leafing through a preserves cookbook and saw an apple butter recipe that called for lots of apple cider.