I made a giant pot of ratatouille. Can I freeze it?

asked by EmilyNunn almost 8 years ago

Yes, you can freeze it. When you thaw and reheat it, it'll be softer and the vegetables will weep more liquid but you can cook it down a little to tighten it up.

I don't freeze it, but I've found that when stored in glass jars in a cold fridge, it keeps for a really long time. It actually tastes better with a little age on it.

Kitchen Butterfly

ChefJune, I'll have to try the glass jar storage method. Sounds great

Sonal

I need to store some ratatouille too! How long does it last in the freezer Amanda? And in the fridge ChefJune?

I've had year-old frozen ratatouille but I typically try not to keep things in the freezer more than two or three months. It really depends on how intolerant you are to freezer burn; everyone is different, so it'll end up being a judgment call by you. I put a 2-3 month limit on things in my freezer primarily to reduce clutter.

As for refrigerated ratatouille, I would plan to eat it within 7-10 days knowing that the flavors on the tenth day won't be as good as on the third day. Again, it's a judgment call on what you deem adequate in terms of quality.

In tougher times, people would drink sour milk.

In summary, I would refrigerate what I think I would eat in the next week or so, and freeze the rest. If I found a wayward container of ratatouille in my freezer in February, I'd have no problem eating it.

Sonal

Great! Thanks cv