can I marinate in a stainless steel pot?

I'm working on a recipe that calls for 1.5lb potatoes, about 1.5lb chicken, and a can of chick peas to be marinated together in a mixture of lemon juice, buttermilk, mayo, tomato paste, soy sauce. I don't have a glass bowl big enough to fit all of this, and no giant freezer bags. But I have a 6qt stainless steel pot. Is that a good idea?

asked by MissChristina over 3 years ago

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

You can. It shouldn't cause any issues, but if you add salt to the mix, be certain it is well dissolved in the marinade as salt granules can sometimes cause pitting if they settle on the bottom of the pan. Not so much with stainless, but I've had it happen a couple of times. The recipe probably won't want salt as there is lots in the soy sauce.

Glass or pottery is better if you can find it. Do you have a slow cooker with a pottery insert? Those things are great for marinading. But if not, don't worry, stainless steel is quite stable.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

correction, should read marinating (I think). Spellcheck is taking a vacation today for some reason... I guess my dyslexia finally got too much for it. It was bound to happen one day.

MissChristina

awesome, thanks for the advice!

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Glad to help. Let us know how it turns out.

In addition to trampled's pot/pan suggestions, any enameled pot (e.g. Le Creuset and the like) is non-reactive...the enamel is like glass.

My only question is are you sure your pot is stainless and not aluminum? It's actually hard to tell the difference.