Pie dish

What is best for making pies speaking of esp apple pie, a glass pie dish or a metal pie dish. I have a metal dish in which I make pie and I have found that they cook faster on the bottom then the top of the pie. Sometimes, they really burn a little bit on the bottom, although I place it on the upper rack in the oven..i was wondering is it the dish that makes a difference...or whatelse?

asked by PistachioDoughnut over 6 years ago

jesscancook

Glass is generally said to be best for pie pastry, because it doesn't reflect heat like metal does. I have made many many pies using both metal and glass plates, and never had the bottom crust burn. Usually if I have an issue it's that the bottom crust isn't cooked enough. The only way I can imagine getting a burned bottom crust is if the oven is still pre-heating when the pie goes in.

Mr_Vittles

Oven thermometer would be a good idea. Glass is good. Nonstick will cook faster. Metal can be a little tempermental. I recommend going with a thick metal. But glass is the best for pies. Cook's Illustrated agrees. Just saying.

ChefOno

While I can only guess as to why you're having problems (not heating your oven thoroughly before baking? -- it takes a lot longer than most people think), I can tell you the best baking vessels for the purpose: Pyrex, ceramic and non-stick black steel. Each has its advantages. Pyrex allows you to see what's happening to the bottom crust. Emile Henry ceramic plates make the most elegant presentation with their fluted tops and the finish is virtually non-stick. Rose Levy Beranbaum's workhorse is Wilton's heavy steel 9-inch Excelle plate. They scratch though so I prefer the other two. Avoid shiny metal; it reflects heat. Pick up a Pyrex dish; they're inexpensive, versatile and a good learning tool.

PistachioDoughnut

One thing that I do preheat the oven, I have not made pie recently,,. I have made lot of pies to be honest...and by burnt I meant browns a little quicker than the top...and honestly, it is not a pie dish that i use it is actually a cake pan ..so i think so i should get a pie dish of glass...thanks a ton for suggestions...

I am attaching a pic , actually I made small pie as we are just two of us who were going to have it..the borders in the pic look extra extra brown...alright when I saw the bottom it wasn't this bad like the borders but it was certainly browner than the top crust..although it tasted very well..

Exposed edges can be covered with a strip of aluminum foil. It's a pretty common suggestion in pie recipes. Another variable is the crust recipe -- maybe this one isn't your best choice.

PistachioDoughnut

susang - I am aware about this tip to cover it with strip of foil..but still it browns ..but I have found my answer I think I should buy a glass dish...

This is a wonderful ceramic pie dish, also microwave and dishwasher safe:
http://www.benningtonpotters.com/product/35/bakeware
It's not inexpensive but will last forever and has many other uses: for various desserts, as a casserole dish, serving dish, fruit bowl, etc. Made in Vermont.

PistachioDoughnut

I loved this pie dish...i liked the color..thanks Pegeen..and its multipurpose....also..thanks..

You're welcome! They also make a lovely pie dish with a fluted edge, but the straight-edge one above is probably more versatile - still have my grandmother's that she baked her soda bread in and also used for shepherd's pie. Their dishes will last longer than we will. ;-)

Pegeen's right about Bennington pottery lasting forever. I have a mug I was given as I went off to college, and that's a long, long time ago.