A question about a recipe: Provençal Tuna Melt

E40f3f21 eed4 44dc b29d 1ac7f9b0eaaf  food52 03 13 2012 2020

I have a question about the ingredient "1 6-ounce can tuna packed in olive oil*" on the recipe "Provençal Tuna Melt" from boulangere. Can I use water packed tuna instead?

asked by lgoldenhar over 6 years ago

Miranda Rake
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

I'm sure you can, but I would be sure to drain all the water, and maybe even toss the tuna with a little oil to make sure the final product is moist and yummy!

Certainly, if it's all you have, go right ahead. I love Miranda's suggestion. Drain the water well and toss the tuna with a good measure of olive oil. Don't drain off the olive oil, and proceed with the rest of the recipe. When you have a chance to pick up some tuna in olive oil, by all means do. It's so much more tender, where tuna in water tends to be very dry. I buy mine at Cost Plus World Market. It certainly isn't the top of the line brand, but it's what I can find locally. Yes, World Market is a national store, but the local store employs local people. I'd rather support that than Amazon for a decent tuna in olive oil. Bon appétit!

sam yacoub

thank you