A question about a recipe: Almond Baklava

I have a question about the ingredient "Rose water (for syrup topping)" on the recipe "Almond Baklava" from cookingProf.
Can I make it on my own? Thank you!

6c5e8b4f f8ce 48c0 80ba 913d24c6f8dc  food52 03 13 2012 2951
Recipe question for: Almond Baklava

lloreen
lloreen March 18, 2012

you can, but it takes weeks! you need a lot of organic roses, preferably red, so you would need to wait for summer, probably. there is nothing more delicious than fresh rose water juice from an organic home garden in July. In the meantime, just look for it online or in a middle-eastern grocery.

Nozlee Samadzadeh
Nozlee Samadzadeh March 18, 2012

Agreed -- they sell it at most Indian, Middle Eastern, and even some Asian grocery stores, as well as online at places like Kalustyan's and Kalamala. Cortas brand is my favorite for its stronger scent and long-keeping qualities.

HalfPint March 22, 2012

It doesn't take weeks to make rose water. Here are instructions to distill it in about 40 minutes:
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/rose-water-how-to-make-your-own.html?page=1

The only hard part is getting the large amount of organic and highly scented roses (not all roses have a scent).

lloreen
lloreen March 22, 2012

Interesting...thanks HalfPint! I only know about rose water/juice from a friend's grandma in Romania who makes it every summer from their huge organic rose garden. I have never tasted anything that delicious- synesthesia in a cup. I fall into a trance of summer haze when I even think of it....oh, do I have to work today?

radovanovic.rade
radovanovic.rade March 22, 2012

Here in Serbia organic rose is not problem at all. And just like in Romania during summer you can see jars of rose water on the windows of suburbs, with petals flowing on the top. I just wasn't sure about the English name. It takes much more than 40 minutes, HalfPint but not sure what is the difference, I'll check it. Thanks for answering!