🔕 🔔

Almond meal/flour - what's your favourite recipe for this ingredient?

I've been drying and saving the leftover almond meal from making almond milk. I could put it through the mill and make a fine flour, or I could leave it as is and add to a recipe. This won't have as strong a flavour as ground almonds, but it would otherwise go to waste which isn't acceptable given the price of almonds these days.

Any good recipe ideas? My only food avoidance is soy, so gluten and eggs are fine. I'm looking for inspiration but also for something that would make a good snack like food, not too sweet, that I can take with me to eat when I'm out and about.

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

asked over 1 year ago

Make biscotti, using your meal instead of almonds.
Also, cross-pollinate a basic recipe with one for Parmesan cheese for more of a snack, less of a dessert, coffee-accompaniment.
Here are 2 recipes for the Parmesan biscotti, for you to adapt...
http://www.epicurious.com...
http://www.eatingwell.com...

You could alter the sugar to your taste to make more of a snack cake than a dessert, but I love this fig torte with almond meal:
http://www.beyondtheplate...
Ditto for this muffin recipe that I had bookmarked--and which will use up a lot more of that meal
http://www.epicurious.com...

Some kind of crunchy granola bar would probably be great.

http://www.beyondtheplate...
http://www.epicurious.com...

Fe30e51a 9e41 4007 93f5 f8b0a3545f25  fb avatar

Hello Trampledbygeese,

If you are immediately dehydrating the solids leftover from making almond milk, there should be no issue.

My fresh almond milk tends to spoil after about ten days in the fridge, give or take a couple days, and unless I freeze the solids leftover, they will sour after just a few days - I am not a food scientist, but my belief is that water/moisture attracts spores that grow mold.

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Thank makes a lot of sense, thanks Shuna. That sour flavour sounds more like a bacteria than a mould, or perhaps a combination of both?

Are almond flour and almond meal the same thing? I was assuming that almond meal would be coarsely ground and almond flour would be very fine powder. But the more I read about it, the more they seem to be interchangeable in recipes... possibly? What are your thoughts?

almond meal and almond flour are the same ingredient. most purveyors/packagers don't differentiate. i prefer almond meal make with a whole (skin on) raw almond, but most bakers use blanched.

sorry but I have to sign off now, but thanks for the conversation!

olive oil snacking cake with rosemary, dark chocolate & hazelnuts

adapted from Kim Boyce’s Good to the Grain
serves: makes 1 nine inch cake
notes: All spelt flour would work just fine if you don’t have almond meal. You can leave the rosemary out too if you aren’t feeling super adventurous :)
dry mix:
1 1/2 cups whole spelt flour
1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup natural sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 sprig of rosemary, leaves finely chopped
3/4 tsp fine sea salt
wet mix:
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup olive oil
3/4 cup non-dairy milk (or dairy milk, whatever you like)
100 grams dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted, peeled and chopped roughly
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch round cake pan with olive oil. Place a circle of parchment onto the bottom of the pan and grease that as well.
Sift the spelt flour into a large bowl. Dump any remaining bits of grain in the sifter into the bowl. Add the almond meal, sugar, baking powder, rosemary and sea salt. Whisk to combine.
In a separate medium bowl, whisk the applesauce, olive oil and milk together thoroughly. Pour the wet mix into dry mix in the large bowl. Carefully stir and fold mixture together with a spatula until just combined. Fold in chocolate and hazelnuts.
Scrape batter into prepared cake pan and smooth out the top. Bake on the center rack for 45-50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out of the center part clean. Allow to cool thoroughly before removing from the pan and serving.