how to store fresh galangal

i went to an asian supermarket last week and bought a large knob of galangal. how should i store it so i can use it over the next few month? i don't gest to this market often

• Posted by: alienor
  • March 20, 2012

softpunk
softpunk March 20, 2012

You should be able to freeze it as you can with ginger. You can cut it into smaller pieces and store them in a container or ziplock bag in the freezer. It's easy to peel and grate while still frozen.

bobbie joh
bobbie joh March 20, 2012

Dont know that it will last "months"..weeks maybe. I store mine just in the veg bin, like ginger. You could always try freezing it in chunks or cutting and storing it in sherry (like ginger). I've purchased dried galangal powder - you might dry it but i dont think all the flavor remains.

Panfusine
Panfusine March 20, 2012

OOOH, Lucky you! Slice it thin and freeze it for long term use.

susan g March 20, 2012

I learned about freezing ginger from food52, so when I found some fresh turmeric (in Putney VT!), I also put that in the freezer, where they are doing quite well in small zip lock bags. Galangal is in the same family, so it should do just as well. I've got my eye out for it...

Sam1148 March 20, 2012

Ask a local Asian market that specializes in Thai foods. I never see it fresh here and I specifically have to ask for it because its a chest freezer in vac pacs at that store kinda hidden away from the display freezer section.
I find a little goes a long way for a thai green curry. While it's like ginger and that's a good sub, it has a bit of a numbing effect like schezwan peppercorn to me, which can be overwhelming in large does.

Joanne Fraser
Joanne Fraser November 27, 2018

I too was lucky to find some at a market an hour away from me. It's winter here now so traveling there will be difficult. Thank you for all the suggestions on freezing galangal!