🔕 🔔

How long are capers good for in the fridge once you open them?

I've had the same jar for a year. At what point should I toss it?

asked by sstiavetti over 5 years ago

E6f5e079 1551 4472 bc70 dcc35a71edc2  110

If they're still submerged they should be good. Taste them. I tossed some recently because they had picked up some off flavors--but there was very little brine in there.

I have had them in my fridg for over a yr. submerged in brine they should last for a long time

Brined capers last a long time, but I suggest going to salt packed capers which taste better and seem to last for eternity unrefrigerated. Although do go through them pretty fast. You do have to rinse the salt off before using. The brand I reach for is Rustichella d'Abruzzo, the same company that makes exquisite dried pastas.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

Something close to "forever" if covered with brine. Even using only a small amount at a time, I always manage to use mine up before they go bad.

8651ba15 67a8 45d3 a72e da36775f275d  open uri.11147

They last forever..