How long are capers good for in the fridge once you open them?

I've had the same jar for a year. At what point should I toss it?

asked by sstiavetti over 6 years ago

bugbitten

If they're still submerged they should be good. Taste them. I tossed some recently because they had picked up some off flavors--but there was very little brine in there.

jmburns

I have had them in my fridg for over a yr. submerged in brine they should last for a long time

Brined capers last a long time, but I suggest going to salt packed capers which taste better and seem to last for eternity unrefrigerated. Although do go through them pretty fast. You do have to rinse the salt off before using. The brand I reach for is Rustichella d'Abruzzo, the same company that makes exquisite dried pastas.

SeaJambon

Something close to "forever" if covered with brine. Even using only a small amount at a time, I always manage to use mine up before they go bad.

SeafoodBatlle

They last forever..