🔕 🔔

What is self rising flour used for?

I bought a package and am not sure what it is!

asked by Bates,Barley over 5 years ago

4cc38b64 6692 42be 81f7 24b3e7bcda7f  img 2088

Self rising flour is a sort of short cut flour which has salt and baking powder (chemical leavening) already mixed into it. I know it is called for in some biscuit and muffin recipes.

46d131cd f2c2 45e6 a471 166131eec02e  jess otoole

It seems to me self rising flour is a basic pantry ingredient for convenience in England. I find it called for often in pancake or scone recipes. Seeing it in a recipe can really throw us off here in the United States, but it is available in most grocery stores, and I found directions for making your own self-rising flour by Martha Stewart here
http://www.marthastewart...

It's a mixture of all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.

Wholefoods user icon

I only use it for this great bread.
3 cups flour
big pinch o sugar
1 12oz bottle of beer (any)

bake in a loafpan at 375 for 1 hour.