If you could only use 1 hand (your dominant one) while cooking, what would you make? Assume you can use the outer heel of the non-working 1.

This describes my current situation. I had major surgery and expect to get some functionality back within a month and most, if not all, within a year, but for now, it's kind of like having that hand tied behind my back. It all came up quite suddenly so, having to deal with everything else in my life that's affected, I wasn't able to plan ahead on this. Links to resources for cooks with challenges like this would be appreciated. Thanks so much, everyone. ;o)

a Whole Foods Market Customer

I use a damp tea towel to make a nest to hold bowls while I whip ingridients together. that would deffinately help you for stirring.
food processor is a huge help. think chopped onions and celery for your meatloaf recipe and such or even early spring gazpachos (food processor chopped and NO COOK) ;)

mensaque

Sorry to hear that!I've been restricted of my mobility too due to a rupture on my achiles' heel so I know how you feel.Are you in any pain?If not,though I'm certainly glad,I feel like telling you not to push yourself!Nosy me...but it seems to me that in those cases time and rest are the best medicine.Go with the basics,enjoy some sandwichs and take out,use your friends and family's hands intead of yours for a while!We're all here for you!

a Whole Foods Market Customer

here are some links I have found that could help.
This is for a very well designed kitchen center.
http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/09/07/single-hand-cook/

Sadassa_Ulna

Sorry to hear about your hand situation AJ. I hope you have a quick recovery and full mobility soon. Maybe buying meat and produce that is pre-chopped can help. I believe there is some kind of scrubby glove that could help for prepping/scrubbing whole vegetables for roasting. This might sound strange, but maybe there are long handled pans out there, so you could "grasp" the handle between your elbow and your rib cage so you can stir/flip/etc. with your good hand? I hope you find answers and if I think of anything I will post again.

Bevi

I hope you feel better soon, AJ. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, I recommend buying pre-chopped salad ingredients. The carrot broccoli slaw is great, and does well with the addition of just about any other raw veggie or fruit. Pomegranate arils are also sold there. Do you own one of those veggie choppers that looks like a bulb planter? They appear to be a good item for a cook who needs some extra help: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/1939016/?catalogId=99&bnrid=3120901&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Cooks_Tools&cm_pla=Fruit_Vegetable_Tools&cm_ite=OXO_Vegetable_Chopper&adtype=pe

Take care of your hand!

bugbitten

First, I'd look into a voice-recognition program for the computer--no fun typing with one hand and we want to hear from you. Get well soon!

Take a well deserved break and have your husband/partner/children cook or prep things.
And stay out of the kitchen while their cooking...the 'helpful' advice and hovering sometimes isn't appreciated. (I learned this the hard way). They'll fail and learn on their own--just like we all did when learning.
Good luck and get better soon!

Thanks, everyone. These ideas are all very helpful. I have already gotten back the use of several fingers, so I actually have 1 1/2 hands now, though anything I do takes a lot longer. But I don't care. It's kind of nice doing ordinary tasks more mindfully. ;o)

Yuuki

I had shoulder surgery not too long ago and was down to only one arm for months. I used lots of minute rice and made egg fried rice. Of course, the hardest part was cracking the eggs. I'm still not great at it, but I highly recommend it if you get the chance.

The pre-chopped veggies from TJ's are a great idea for ingredients in the rice.

You'll Want to Eat These Soy Sauce Eggs with Everything

Game changed.

Momofuku's Famed Soy Sauce Eggs

From filling salads to warming soups, we've got you covered.

Easy Lunch Ideas

A weeknight slam dunk.

Miso Butter Skillet Chicken

Get Set for the Best

And why Sunday is, hands down, the best day of the week.

American Expat Life in Paris