🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Swiss Spice Cookie

4de7bb27 87bf 4ddb abb6 a07f5632da68  foodieismsmolassescookie

I have a question about the ingredient "bottle of light molasses" on the recipe "Swiss Spice Cookie" from Foodie-isms.

asked by Ashie12 about 6 years ago

I don't know what your question is but I am going to venture a guess that its the about the difference between light and dark molasses here is an article that explains the difference, it seems like its basically how its processed, light being the first extraction and dark the second http://johndlee.hubpages...

Two articles I read said they are interchangeable in recipes but not as a substitute for black strap molasses which is very strong.

Blackstrap, in my opinion, is not so much strong as more savory than sweet. I do occasionally use it in baking (not in this recipe!) for the tangy taste.
On the subject of molasses, look for information about the "Great Molasses Flood" in Boston, 1919.
http://www.boston-discovery...

Looking at the recipe, your question may be "what size bottles?" There's a standard size, 12 ounces, that you'll commonly find in brands like Grandma's and Brer Rabbit.