Question about Spiced Parsnip Cake

What is french four spice?

asked by skittle over 6 years ago

I read the recipe and here is what hardlikearmour said it is:
French four spice (I used the Penzey's blend which contains white pepper, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves),

BTW, it sounds absolutely delicious. I am going to give it a try too!

skittle

So if I don't have this blend, I suppose I could just do equal parts of all 4? It's a tiny amount....
It does look good and how unusual!

I would do exactly that. It does sound really good, parsnips have a spicy bite and I can imagine how good this cake must be I also don't have the four spice blend will do the same.

I just made HLA's Spiced Parsnip Cake to take to a Food52 gathering tonight. I asked this question of HLA because I found a recipe on Epicurious. Her response was just to make sure the white pepper was noticeable. It is an amazing recipe. Enjoy!

Here's a recipe for French Four Spice from epicurious: http://www.epicurious.com... it's 1 T white pepper, 1 t ground ginger, 1 t ground nutmeg, and a rounded 1/4 t ground cloves.