🔕 🔔

I want to make a key lime pie. I realize I do not have enough key limes. Can I substitute all of the limes for Meyer lemons?

asked by LemonMango over 5 years ago

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Not if you want the distinctive flavor of key limes. There's no reason you can't make a Meyer lemon pie, but it will be a lot milder.

Thank you for your thoughts. I am long on Meyer Lemons so I will try the Key Lime recipe substituting lemons for all limes - I will let you know. Thanks again!

NOG

How would it work to use as much fresh key lime juice as you have and then use bottled key lime juice. I've seen it in the grocery. Not as good as fresh . . . but in combination it might be OK.

I should probably stock bottled juice in case of crises just like this! Thank you for your idea!

If you use a combination of regular lemon juice and lime juice with the zest of a lime it will be close to the key line flavor

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

If you want to keep an emergency supply, freeze extra juice when you've got it available -- much better for the purpose than bottled.