🔕 🔔

Key lime substitution

Am looking to make Key lime pie with fresh juice, not bottled. Key limes are currently out of season and unavailable in my area. Would appreciate suggestions on how to substitute with regular Persian limes. Have read 1/2 lime and 1/2 lemon juice.

asked by Lsia almost 3 years ago

756bd938 00d5 4d9d 885a cbd7f24b9c37  stringio

I would try to aim closer to 3/4 lime and 1/4 lemon. My lemon meringue recipe uses almost half and half both juices and comes out with a strong lemon flavour, so I would try and use more lime.

991b3cfa ac67 491b 925f 80769de869e9  stringio

I've been in the same boat. I agree, anywhere from 1/2 lime and 1/2 lemon, to as suggested, 3/4 lime and 1/4 lemon. I love making Key lime pie, and have never made one with bottled juice. I have used key limes, and I personally like the flavor better when I use lemon & lime.

You might want to try half lime and half meyer lemon, which is a bit sweeter than regular lemon and will offset the "bite" of the Persian limes.

Thank you all!

48361945 4c0d 4900 a4fb fead7055d98f  stringio

I rarely use any bottled products; always fresh. However, The "Nellie and Joe's" brand key lime juice works when key limes are unavailable.

0a62c55f 38bb 4f00 aefc 1de6685070d9  stringio

I make key lime pie regularly with persian limes and still get rave reviews. If you google this, you will see there is not much difference between the two. hope you are also adding a generous amount of the grated zest.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Personally, I'm not convinced there is a huge difference between the flavor of key limes and Persian limes, at least once they're in a pie (don't skewer me for saying so). I use normal limes, and no one has complained ;)