Key lime substitution

Am looking to make Key lime pie with fresh juice, not bottled. Key limes are currently out of season and unavailable in my area. Would appreciate suggestions on how to substitute with regular Persian limes. Have read 1/2 lime and 1/2 lemon juice.

• Posted by: Lsia
  • January 31, 2015

Jesse Gallant
Jesse Gallant January 31, 2015

I would try to aim closer to 3/4 lime and 1/4 lemon. My lemon meringue recipe uses almost half and half both juices and comes out with a strong lemon flavour, so I would try and use more lime.

Tony Zito
Tony Zito January 31, 2015

I've been in the same boat. I agree, anywhere from 1/2 lime and 1/2 lemon, to as suggested, 3/4 lime and 1/4 lemon. I love making Key lime pie, and have never made one with bottled juice. I have used key limes, and I personally like the flavor better when I use lemon & lime.

Pegeen January 31, 2015

You might want to try half lime and half meyer lemon, which is a bit sweeter than regular lemon and will offset the "bite" of the Persian limes.

Lsia
Lsia January 31, 2015

Thank you all!

mickle
mickle January 31, 2015

I rarely use any bottled products; always fresh. However, The "Nellie and Joe's" brand key lime juice works when key limes are unavailable.

nancy essig
nancy essig January 31, 2015

I make key lime pie regularly with persian limes and still get rave reviews. If you google this, you will see there is not much difference between the two. hope you are also adding a generous amount of the grated zest.

petitbleu
petitbleu January 31, 2015

Personally, I'm not convinced there is a huge difference between the flavor of key limes and Persian limes, at least once they're in a pie (don't skewer me for saying so). I use normal limes, and no one has complained ;)