Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

Making Paella

Hello, I am looking at a recipe for Paella with chorizo, seafood and chicken as the main ingredients. Would I be using dried or fresh chorizo???

asked by hunmarilyn over 4 years ago
4cc38b64 6692 42be 81f7 24b3e7bcda7f  img 2088

There is a Mexican fresh chorizo and a Spanish chorizo. The Mexican version is not the one you want; its consistancy is more like ground meat or breakfast sausage. I have used a couple of kinds of Spanish chorizo. One was like salami and one was more like andoille or kielbasa. Both worked fine, but I preferred the latter.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I have always used fresh chorizo but my new favorite is merguez.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

What you really want is a "semi-cured" Spanish chorizo if you are going to be cooking it. The harder versions don't cook up as well. I would suggest a chorizo Bilbao which you can order on line from La Espanola Meats www.donajuana.com They make their own regional style Spanish chorizo and cured meats in their own plant. If you want to include jamon serrano in your paella you can also order that through them---not to mention pimenton and saffron.