Anyone know of a good noodle that's kosher for Passover?

I've made kugel with Mazoh and it didn't turn out very well. I've also made it with regular noodles and was chastised by my friend's Jewish mother. What can I do?

asked by Greta finch over 6 years ago

Tarragon

There are great kugel recipes that aren't based on noodles. Are you making it savory or sweet, dairy or non-dairy?

Greta finch

I haven't really decided yet. Any suggestions?

egg noodles that are certified kosher for passover look on the package, (easily found in most supermarkets) or you could make a potato kugel. i will be posting a savory potato kosher for passoer recipe on this site soon.

Tarragon

Matzoh Apple Kugel

Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 9 x 11 x 2 baking dish (pyrex works well)

3 large gala or other sweet apples
Juice of 1 lemon
8 matzoh boards
6 eggs, beaten lightly
1 C sugar
1 stick margarine (or butter, but don't tell!)
1 C raisins
salt, pepper to taste
2 Tbs sugar mixed with 2 Tbs cinnamon, for topping

Peel and slice apples thinly, and place in a large mixing bowl with the lemon juice
Soak matzoh boards in water until pliable; drain and break into pieces and add to the bowl.
Add the eggs, sugar, raisins (and salt and pepper - not too much) to the bowl and combine.
Cut the stick of margarine into small pieces and add to bowl. Mix to distribute.
Pour mixture into the prepared pan.
Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes.

This is a winner! (Sometimes I caremelize the apples first).

I'd imagine you could use a gluten free noodle and be "safe," but I wouldn't serve it to anyone who was strictly Kosher. (and Ashkenazi) They'd go "tut-tut" at least. Sephardic Jews eat rice at Passover, so for them, rice noodles would be fine.

In our family, noodle kugel is for any holiday other than Passover. For that we love a casserole (kugel?) made with matzo farfel. If you want the recipe, let me know.

There are Passover noodles made with potato starch, but they're not all that good. I don't think they'd make a great noodle kugel. I make a matzoh-apple Charlotte similar to Tarragon's. With enough eggs and sugar, it's a good bet. For Passover I've found it's best to "work with what you've got" and not fudge it with ersatz stuff that tries to be what it's not. Maybe a potato kugel as sexyLAMBCHOPx suggests.

Tarragon

What Creamtea said.

If I understand the question, the problem is not wheat noodles (since you could use matzo), but using noodles that were not Kosher for Passover. Supermarkets this time of year, where I've lived at least, have a display of Passover foods, and you're likely to find noodles there that pass the "friend's Jewish mother" test. If the store has a Kosher/Jewish foods section, you may find them there. Why not ask the mother what she would suggest?
http://www.food52.com/recipe... -- here are recipes from the site. I prefer savory...
Good luck!

Correction! what was I thinking? You won't be able to use wheat noodles. I was looking at a recipe from Faye Levy, where she uses matzo broken into noodle shaped pieces!