🔕 🔔

What type (and brand) of rice are best for making paella?

asked by Kate,Gold over 5 years ago

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I use arborio rice. Check the site link for inspiration at http://www.food52.com/recipe...

A medium grade rice works best. See http://www.finecooking... for specifics.

Wholefoods user icon

Calasparra or La Bomba rice, both from Spain are great. You can easily order them online at latienda.com or pick them up at a local specialty store. They provide just the right amount of risotto-like creaminess to the paella, without the headache of stirring.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I agree that bomba (it's a type, not a brand) is the most authentic and good. I don't think that most other Spanish rices work or taste nearly so well, even those that are labeled "paella" rices. So my second choices are the Italian arborio or carnaroli.

I'll add my voice to the bomba chorus. But the most important thing is that it must be a short grain rice. Arborio is an adequate substitute but I'd look for the bomba first. Cooking paella is not like making risotto. Once you add the hot stock you don't stir it. What you are trying to achieve is the "socarrat"; that crisp crust at the bottom of the pan.