🔕 🔔

Right now (and often) I have leftover, cooked, long-grain brown rice. I want to make a custard-type rice pudding with it. Favorite recipe, someone?

Last recipe I tried left the rice too starchy. Any ideas? I'm free to use any ingredients, no restrictions. But SIMPLE is best; I hate cooking. No bain-marie, SVP! Thanks, All!

asked by sydney over 1 year ago

Molly Katzen recipe in Moosewood Cookbook. Tasty, easy, reliable.

E75016e9 47b6 4c16 9726 60e0e83283ba  22073 1321490391675 6875987 n
Ali Slagle

Books Editor and Stylist at Food52.

Think this was written for you! https://food52.com/blog...

159fa81e df11 417f b133 59c3df6008c7  food53

Thanks very much, Nancy and Ali! :-)

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

z, have you tried short grain brown rice? I love the chewy nuttiness of it. Same easy prep. Not your request, but here's my fav entree using leftover short grain rice:
https://food52.com/recipes...

Also, if you have a nearby Trader JOe's, they sell a box of pouches of precooked multigrain that's really neat.

Thanks, Le Bec Fin! As it happens, my son asked if a savoury rice pudding exists, and what a perfect example of an easy and clearly successful recipe. Plus it's a portable lunch for a gluten-free kid. :-)

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Savory rice pudding is not particularly common.

A savory dish that uses leftover rice that is very common is fried rice. A billion people on this planet may have fried rice in the next day or two.

Many versions of fried rice reheat superbly in microwave ovens. Unsurprising that billions of cooks on this planet choose to repurpose leftover rice this way.