Right now (and often) I have leftover, cooked, long-grain brown rice. I want to make a custard-type rice pudding with it. Favorite recipe, someone?

Last recipe I tried left the rice too starchy. Any ideas? I'm free to use any ingredients, no restrictions. But SIMPLE is best; I hate cooking. No bain-marie, SVP! Thanks, All!

asked by sydney over 2 years ago

Molly Katzen recipe in Moosewood Cookbook. Tasty, easy, reliable.

Ali Slagle

Think this was written for you! https://food52.com/blog...

sydney

Thanks very much, Nancy and Ali! :-)

LE BEC FIN

z, have you tried short grain brown rice? I love the chewy nuttiness of it. Same easy prep. Not your request, but here's my fav entree using leftover short grain rice:
https://food52.com/recipes...

Also, if you have a nearby Trader JOe's, they sell a box of pouches of precooked multigrain that's really neat.

sydney

Thanks, Le Bec Fin! As it happens, my son asked if a savoury rice pudding exists, and what a perfect example of an easy and clearly successful recipe. Plus it's a portable lunch for a gluten-free kid. :-)

Savory rice pudding is not particularly common.

A savory dish that uses leftover rice that is very common is fried rice. A billion people on this planet may have fried rice in the next day or two.

Many versions of fried rice reheat superbly in microwave ovens. Unsurprising that billions of cooks on this planet choose to repurpose leftover rice this way.