🔕 🔔

Sugar Substitutes

I'm trying to use 'healthier' and lower-calorie ingredients in my baking, and have been experimenting with different sugar substitutes. Splenda works very well in baking, but a lot of people don't want artificial sweeteners in their food. I just found Stevia in powdered form, and have used agave nectar and coconut nectar, which only seem to exist as liquids, in recipes in which the sweetener doesn't require the texture or bulk of sugar, but I wondered whether you have worked with any of these alternatives, and how you made the substitute. I also just heard about coconut sugar, which I haven't even seen in stores. Do you know anything about the appropriate uses for that?

asked by Bryna Kranzler over 5 years ago

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

It is best to look at company websites or contact the producer for recipes specific to their product. The chemistry can get tricky.
I just saw agave powder sold in packets at Trader Joe's.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I just passed by some coconut sugar at Whole Foods but I don't know anything about it, just that they sell it.

I thought I might find it there, but didn't know if anyone had had experience with it

I'm of the camp that real sugar is healthier than anything artificial, though granted more caloric. And despite the agave hype that was, there has been much written since to suggest agave is not healthier than sugar either. I like using raw sugar. Here's a wiki link re coconut sugra: http://en.wikipedia.org...
If this is accurate, it has a lower glycemic index, more vitamins and can be subbed with sugar one for one.