Steamer substitute

I am in a rental and need to steam some vegetables, but no steamer basket. Any ideas?

asked by Robin O'D over 6 years ago

Find a colander that fits a pan with a lid.

Robin O'D

There is a colander here but it is plastic.

mbergner

What are you steaming? You may be able to make some foil balls to keep the food up out of the water and/or use a heat proof bowl to hold the food.

Robin O'D

Broccoli and sugar snap peas, the foil may work.

ChefOno

Or just boil them.

Queen Mab

You can get a steaming effect by using a small amount of water (about 1/4" deep) and a pot with a lid. Bring the water to a boil; put in the veggies; cover and turn heat to low. Check after 5-7 minutes. This works well for tender-crisp vegetables.

LE BEC FIN

sugar snap peas would def not take 5-7 minutes; they'd be done in 30-60 seconds. Broccoli takes 3+ minutes once the steam is rolling. Another sub for a steamer is a disposable aluminum pie plate or other> poke holes all over with a skewer or knife tip. Set in a pot on a water filled can or other 'riser' (like a cake rack) with 2 " of boiling water in the bottom and a lid.