Boiling versus steaming vegetables?

My roommate and I are having an argument over which is better, and what the difference is. Health issues aside, I think boiling turns out vegetables that taste better and steaming makes vegetables limp and soggy. He says the opposite. Who is right?

asked by linzarella almost 6 years ago

Patti in Mississippi

Either, just don't cook too long!

Only the English boil vegetables---for two days at a minimum---just to be sure that they are hammered to death and all the dangerous vitamins are removed.

Daria Faulkner

I think they are about the same, but steaming is sometimes said to be better as more vitamins will stay. I prefer steaming to boiling in general.

bigpan

I do as most restaurants do ... quickly blanche then ice bath, drain and hold until needed and the sautée. This method preserves both taste and color and since it is pre-prepped your final cooking time is reduced.

Daisy At Home

Vegetables come out limp and soggy when they're overcooked, regardless of the cooking method! If boiling, I quickly blanch my veggies just until they are bright green (or whatever color the veggie is), are easy to chew, and still have a nice snap (bite) to them. Steaming is great because you use less water. Either method is great for quickly cooking vegetables, but I prefer roasting my vegetables with just a touch of oil and salt to get that deep caramelization.

Daisy At Home