🔕 🔔

Boiling versus steaming vegetables?

My roommate and I are having an argument over which is better, and what the difference is. Health issues aside, I think boiling turns out vegetables that taste better and steaming makes vegetables limp and soggy. He says the opposite. Who is right?

asked by linzarella over 4 years ago

Either, just don't cook too long!

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

Only the English boil vegetables---for two days at a minimum---just to be sure that they are hammered to death and all the dangerous vitamins are removed.

7e0b313d 12d6 4069 b603 221b729e5e7a  dsc 0034

I think they are about the same, but steaming is sometimes said to be better as more vitamins will stay. I prefer steaming to boiling in general.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I do as most restaurants do ... quickly blanche then ice bath, drain and hold until needed and the sautée. This method preserves both taste and color and since it is pre-prepped your final cooking time is reduced.

02f22b8a 686b 4df5 83fe 7fbe5253f5da  sarah 107

Vegetables come out limp and soggy when they're overcooked, regardless of the cooking method! If boiling, I quickly blanch my veggies just until they are bright green (or whatever color the veggie is), are easy to chew, and still have a nice snap (bite) to them. Steaming is great because you use less water. Either method is great for quickly cooking vegetables, but I prefer roasting my vegetables with just a touch of oil and salt to get that deep caramelization.