The Italian nonstick pro chefs swear by, exclusive to us! Shop now »
🔕 🔔

Making steamed vegetables varied and interesting

Looking for lots of novel ways to make steamed vegetables more interesting without adding more than a few calories. I have a friend on a draconian diet. Your favorites?

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

You could add wine, herbs, or other aromatics to the liquid (or the vegetables). My aunt taught me to steam thin carrot sticks under a blanket of sliced basil -- it's lovely.

Cider vinegar, garlic, and chile flakes with steamed sweet potatoes/other sweet vegetable and kale is a favorite of mine. Vinegar or acids in general will brighten up lots of otherwise sad vegetables.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Tofu mashed to mayo consistency and mixed with prepared wasabi is good on top of steamed broccoli.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I like using balsamic reduction. It is easy to make and goes a long way with some freshly ground black pepper. Put the balsamico in a small skillet or sauce pan, and bring to boil over medium heat. Lower the heat and simmer until reduced to about a third of the original volume. (The reduction will thicken some more as it cools.)

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Thanks, I like all the suggestions. My friend loves basil, and I'm betting that the "basil blanket" will get wide use. I hadn't thought about tofu "mayo," and that's going to be a fun project. But all the suggestions are great, along with a bunch of others I've accumulated--sliced ginger on the bottom of the steamer, soy sauce in the steaming water, splashes of vinegars. Thanks again.