🔕 🔔

Easter Vegetable

I have to bring a vegetable to Easter this year. What is something that will travel well and won't have to be reheated. I DON'T want to bring the green bean casserole.

asked by Madame Sel over 5 years ago

Easter is the quintessential Roman season. Vegetables are typical served at room temperature. Artichokes, broccoli rabe, dandelion greens... Maybe think along those lines as they can all be cooked in advance.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

This is good at room temperature. The key to making it especially delicious is getting the cauliflower nicely caramelized: http://www.food52.com/recipes...
This is also good. Make sure to roast similarly sized beets so they get done about the same time: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

46d131cd f2c2 45e6 a471 166131eec02e  jess otoole

I agree with Pierino, you could steam artichokes, broccoli rabe, leeks, spring onions, or asparagus and serve them room temperature with a fresh herb vinaigrette on the side. I really like a pea salad with lima beans, edamame, sliced scallions, chive, and a lemony vinaigrette that can be served at room temp.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

To me, spring means asparagus and one excellent way to serve it is raw, shaved, in a salad. Although pierino's suggestion of artichokes (baby, dressed in a vinaigrette) is making me hungry…

I'm down with asparagus as well---and they are in season. But when it comes to artichokes I don't steam them, I braise them. I trim all of the hard stringy stuff off including the tough leaves, scoop out the choke and stuff it with bread crumbs and mint. This way you can eat the whole thing. But I have to add that this is a lot of work if you are required to cook a big batch of them for a group. Baby artichokes are indeed easier to work with.

I would either do steamed asparagus or roasted cauliflower. The beauty of the cauliflower is that it can be done in advance, and does not need to be reheated.

1f1ea363 a10f 41f9 8e1e fb2d57ebe7ff  2010 0425finepix0014

To me nothing says easter like carrots. I use a mandoline to thinly slice carrots, then sauté them in equal amounts of butter and olive oil, add some salt and a good pinch of brown sugar, and voila. Cook the carrots just to a tiny stage past the super crunchy part and then take them with you. They will be great lukewarm still. Oh, and sprinkle a little chopped, fresh parsley over the top.