Easter Vegetable

I have to bring a vegetable to Easter this year. What is something that will travel well and won't have to be reheated. I DON'T want to bring the green bean casserole.

asked by Madame Sel over 6 years ago

Easter is the quintessential Roman season. Vegetables are typical served at room temperature. Artichokes, broccoli rabe, dandelion greens... Maybe think along those lines as they can all be cooked in advance.

This is good at room temperature. The key to making it especially delicious is getting the cauliflower nicely caramelized: http://www.food52.com/recipes...
This is also good. Make sure to roast similarly sized beets so they get done about the same time: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

la domestique

I agree with Pierino, you could steam artichokes, broccoli rabe, leeks, spring onions, or asparagus and serve them room temperature with a fresh herb vinaigrette on the side. I really like a pea salad with lima beans, edamame, sliced scallions, chive, and a lemony vinaigrette that can be served at room temp.

ChefOno

To me, spring means asparagus and one excellent way to serve it is raw, shaved, in a salad. Although pierino's suggestion of artichokes (baby, dressed in a vinaigrette) is making me hungry…

I'm down with asparagus as well---and they are in season. But when it comes to artichokes I don't steam them, I braise them. I trim all of the hard stringy stuff off including the tough leaves, scoop out the choke and stuff it with bread crumbs and mint. This way you can eat the whole thing. But I have to add that this is a lot of work if you are required to cook a big batch of them for a group. Baby artichokes are indeed easier to work with.

Cherylkw

I would either do steamed asparagus or roasted cauliflower. The beauty of the cauliflower is that it can be done in advance, and does not need to be reheated.

BavarianCook

To me nothing says easter like carrots. I use a mandoline to thinly slice carrots, then sauté them in equal amounts of butter and olive oil, add some salt and a good pinch of brown sugar, and voila. Cook the carrots just to a tiny stage past the super crunchy part and then take them with you. They will be great lukewarm still. Oh, and sprinkle a little chopped, fresh parsley over the top.