I was asked to bring a Green Vegetable dish for Easter dinner.

I was asked to bring a Green Vegetable dish for Easter dinner. It needs to be made ahead of time and only needs to be reheated when I get to my sister's house. Was thinking vegetable bundles but wanted to try something new.

asked by Lucia from Madison 8 months ago

How many are going to be served?
BB

Lucia from Madison

9 to 12

janet erikso

I make an asparagus bake each year with pureed asparagus, eggs, swiss cheese. Sort of a course between a soufflé and a quiche. Can be made ahead earlier in the day and kept warm or gently reheated. Let me know if it interests you and I'll post recipe tomorrow.

ktr
ktr

Not sure if Lucia is interested, but I would be if you would please share your recipe. Is it green from the puréed asparagus? My kids would love that!

Lucia from Madison

Thank you! Yes I would love this recipe.

I love asparagus and green peas.
There are many casserole recipes but I like blanching the asparagus in lemon water and cutting them into thirds afterwards. Frozen, petite, green peas cooked until thawed, drain.
For 9-12 guests, 2 lbs of asparagus and 1 bag of frozen peas.
Place peas and asparagus in 9 x 12 baking pan, toss gently. Before heating in oven, sprinkle with sea salt and lemon pepper and a light drizzle of olive oil. Bake 400 degrees, about 15 minutes. Toss before serving (this is optional) zest a lemon and sprinkle on top before serving.

Lucia from Madison

Sounds delicious!

For me, the ultimate green vegetable dish for early spring is asparagus: grilled, steamed or boiled. No other treatments or sauces.

I prefer asparagus pretty much plain, rather than covered in sauces, creams, whatever. The pure flavor of the vegetable by itself is the best.

MMH
MMH

I agree and you can serve it at room temperature.

Katie Macdonald
Katie Macdonald

Assistant Editor at Food52

Hi Lucia,

Not sure if this is fresh enough, but my mo makes this for Easter all the time :) It tastes even better the next day! https://food52.com/recipes...

Good luck!

Artichokes are a spring vegetable and can be done in a Roman or Southern French casserole. Or poached (Sicilian style).

Lucia from Madison

Just thinking... how about an asparagus and petite green peas frittatta?

janet erikso

Asparagus Bake (whidh you requested) Serves 8

2 lbs. asparagus, washed and tough ends snapped off
1/4 c. butter
6 T. chopped scallion
1/4 flour
1 and 1/2 c. sour cream
4 eggs
3/4 c. shredded swiss cheese
1 tsp salt
dash nutmeg and pepper

Grease 9 inch square pan or 2 qt. soufflé dish.

Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender. Drain and reserve 1/4 cup liquid.

In blender, puree asparagus with reserved liquid.

In saucepan, melt butter. Add onions and saute until tender. Add flour and cook, stirring, for several minutes. Add sour cream and cook, stirring constantly over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in cheese and return pan to low heat and cook, stirring, until cheese is melted. Add seasonings and puree and stir. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake at 350 for 1 and 1/4 to 1 and 1/2 hours or until firm.

Can be made a bit ahead. Undercook a bit and and then reheat in 350 over until hot.

Cathy

Thank you for posting. That looks awesome.

Lucia, what vegetable did you make?