🔕 🔔

Fish sauce a year old. Does this stuff really ever go bad?

asked by ceejery over 5 years ago

Hardly. I have had it that long. The salt concentration is so high, bacteria and etc. does not do well in it so it's hard for it to go "bad" . Of course you can see if it smells bad

Well it still smells and tastes horrible, so I guess it's fine

In my experience, fish does not go bad. If anything, the odor and flavor gets stronger the older it gets. I also do not store it in ten fridge and it's never never been a problem and I have never gotten sick. This is how my VIetnamese mother has always stored her fish sauce.

1f1ea363 a10f 41f9 8e1e fb2d57ebe7ff  2010 0425finepix0014

Mine is in the pantry as well and I don't think it ever goes bad. Time to make some Thai food and take it for a test drive!