Fish sauce a year old. Does this stuff really ever go bad?

asked by ceejery about 6 years ago

mbergner

Hardly. I have had it that long. The salt concentration is so high, bacteria and etc. does not do well in it so it's hard for it to go "bad" . Of course you can see if it smells bad

ceejery

Well it still smells and tastes horrible, so I guess it's fine

In my experience, fish does not go bad. If anything, the odor and flavor gets stronger the older it gets. I also do not store it in ten fridge and it's never never been a problem and I have never gotten sick. This is how my VIetnamese mother has always stored her fish sauce.

BavarianCook

Mine is in the pantry as well and I don't think it ever goes bad. Time to make some Thai food and take it for a test drive!