🔕 🔔

I've had a bottle of fish sauce in my frig door for, well, forever. Seriously... I'm thinking years. 1) Does the stuff go bad? 2) If yes, how could you tell since it smells funky from the day you open it? 3) Any recipes out there somewhere that call for more than a small amount of the stuff?

asked by AEC almost 7 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Isn't this kind of like going through your closet and finding a red belt that you haven't worn since the 80's? You didn't use it for, well, forever, and you're not sure if it's any good. Why would you start now? See the conversation on this site about bacon grease for discussion of toxins that you can't see, smell or taste. Or you could follow the advice that was given to the person who found old Crisco and call the manufacturer. But if it were me, I'd throw the stuff out.

Ddd52943 cdf0 4edb a2d4 73aa286607f0  399571 2853636453848 1694221275 n

If it's older than 7 or 8 months, I'd throw it out. Another way you can tell if it's good or not, is by the color. It should be an amber shade, rather than the color of soy sauce. I'm with drbabs on this.I'd throw that bad baby out.

73cd846c b69c 41fe 8f8b 7a3aa8dd3b93  desert

From the bacon grease conversation " When in doubt, throw it out". It's not really wasting it if it has a potential for harm. And if I recall it's not a great monetary loss.
I buy a new one every six months and replace the bottle in the fridge. I have never used an entire bottle.

Fish sauce should not be refrigerated, period. It's built to last---anchovies and salt? Come on. I wouldn't keep it forever. But still it has a pretty long life span. The problem is that most of us don't use it every day. So you buy way more than you need and then what?

Thankfully, it's pretty inexpensive, so it's not hard to part with.

AEC

Pierino, exactly! I'm usually the first person on the when-in-doubt-throw-it-out bus. In hindsight, I think my question was really just fueled by the recurring frustration of having to buy a large amount of an ingredient that I use infrequently... and then months/years down the road having to throw it out. Fish sauce in the bulk aisle, anyone?

AEC, I just looked at a bottle of Thai manufactured fish sauce I have in my pantry and it shows a manufacturing date of 6/09 and a use by date of 12/11. So I guess you could say its lifespan is 18 months. It specifically instructs not to refrigerate as salt crystals will form.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

I refrigerate mine specifically because I don't go through it quickly. I use the Three Crabs brand. Nary a salt crystal has ever made an appearance!