How can I make an easy pasta sauce that tastes as good as the stuff you buy in Jars? My attempts are usually tasteless...

asked by @justwannajive about 8 years ago

Kayb

A basic tomato sauce starts with sauteeing onion and garlic, and carrots, if you wish to add them; add to that a spoonful of tomato paste, and saute until it darkens a bit. Add a half-cup or so of red wine and let that cook for a bit until it loses the "raw" smell. Add two 28-oz. cans of diced tomatos, bring to a boil, and add basil and oregano. Simmer until the tomatos begin to break down and the sauce thickens. You can add any number of other things -- red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, meat, cheese -- whatever strikes your fancy.