🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Purnima Garg's Eggplant and Tomato Curry

E49a4662 0555 4935 9046 7e1bb58b41c7  2015 0615 purnima gargs eggplant and tomato curry james ransom 001

What spice can I use in place of brown mustard seeds? Or should I just leave it out?

asked by Brette Warshaw over 5 years ago

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Unfortunately There really is no substitute for the mustard in the tempering, except perhaps the whole white mustard seeds. (the mustard heats up to pop and release the flavor laden oils). If you don't have access to any kind of whole mustard , just omit the it altogether.

Attempt to find some if you can in your area. They are brilliant and give a wonderful flavor. But yes, no substitute. :(

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

I use whatever color I have around. If you can find an Indian grocery store you can get a huge bag of mustard seeds for a few dollars, also the other spices in this recipe, so you will NEVER need to omit them.