🔕 🔔

Home-blended curry powder: what is your favorite combination/ratio of spices for an all-purpose curry powder (not spicy)? ;o)

Thanks so much, everyone. ;o)

asked about 4 years ago

A028427c 7b8b 4d1e a589 76ec9811f6fd  photo

I'm assuming you mean curry powder and not garam masala. I use mostly turmeric (say, 1/2 of your total), with <1/4 each of cumin, and coriander, and a dash of ground mustard and cayenne (you can leave that last out if you're nervous, but you probably won't be able to tell). I don't have a grinder, but if you do, I would toast the seeds first and then grind. Sorry I don't have exact measurements for you, but this is pretty forgiving as long as you're not too heavy-handed with the cayenne.

Where did my answer go?? I'm assuming you mean curry powder and not garam masala. I use mostly turmeric (say, 1/2 of your total), with <1/4 each of cumin, and coriander, and a dash of ground mustard and cayenne (you can leave that last out if you're nervous, but you probably won't be able to tell). I don't have a grinder, but if you do, I would toast the seeds first and then grind. Sorry I don't have exact measurements for you, but this is pretty forgiving as long as you're not too heavy-handed with the cayenne.

And: if you want, a tablespoon of cardamom and/or ginger rounds out the flavor nicely.

I am sure Panfusine would have some wonderful suggestions.

Naturally Ella has a nice recommendation on her site: naturallyella.com/2013/12/03/diy-gift-homemade-spice-blends/ I might give this a try next!

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks have some recipe for curry powder. I like the proportions she uses. Can look it up if you cant find it.