Best egg slicer?

Do any of you have one that you love? I remember my mother's plain stainless steel egg slicer doing a great job, but the one I just bought for $13 at Bed Bath and Beyond is turning my poor egg into crumbles. Surprisingly, the Oxo brand slicer seems to have poor ratings as well. Any recommendations?

BavarianCook
BavarianCook April 3, 2012

I'm on my third one. The first one was steel and from Germany (brand was Westmark) and lasted for 15+ years. The second one from Sur La Table lasted just a few months, and now I am using an Oxo, which seems to be holding up ok. It's in use daily. I would just advise to wash it by hand (vs dishwasher) and not use it for anything but eggs, tempting as it might be at times.

BavarianCook
BavarianCook April 3, 2012

Adding on: I just checked amazon.com and they actually carry the Westmark egg slicer now! It is $17something and comes with a 5 yr warranty. That will be my next one!

Cookie16
Cookie16 April 3, 2012

I will look for that now. Thanks :)

PhillipBrandon
PhillipBrandon April 3, 2012

A good knife? That's what I generally use. Does egg slicing come up often enough to merit its own tool?

Cookie16
Cookie16 April 3, 2012

We're on a hard-boiled egg binge in this house. But it's like to have a nice one, yes. Usually I don't like a tool that isn't multipurposed but an egg slicer, I must have! And really it is a multipurpose tool if you want it to be... you can slice strawberries with it, mushrooms... But really, I just hate the way the white and especially the yolk always sticks to my knife when slicing.

susan g April 3, 2012

I have one from Good Cook, sold in supermarkets and inexpensive. It works without any negatives, for 10 years or so, though not frequently.