How long will my Salad Dressing last?

I've recently started making my own salad dressings at home instead of buying at the store, and recently wondered "without a manufacturers recommended expiration date, how long will this last?". Dressing #1 is a Cilantro Lime vinaigrette, and the ingredients are fresh cilantro, fresh lime juice, orange juice, minced garlic, EVOO, water, salt & pepper. Dressing #2 is a simple garlic vinaigrette, and the ingredients are red wine vinegar, EVOO, minced garlic, sugar, salt & pepper. I've read horror stories of botulism risk, and want to be sure I don’t inadvertently poison myself or my family! Thanks for the advise!! -LY

ChefOno
ChefOno April 4, 2012

Botulism is a danger when garlic is deprived of oxygen, such as when it's stored in oil. Commercial garlic-in-oil preparations are acidified to prevent the problem. The acidity of your dressing should help as will refrigeration. Use the dressing within a week and you should be safe.

However... Lime juice suffers considerably after only hours of exposure to oxygen. It'll taste best the day it's prepared.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN April 4, 2012

Maybe because I am older, I am not compulsive about how long things last. I figure I've made it to 60 and never food poisoned myself, so my methods must be o.k.( for me at least).

that said #2 wil last forever. forever. garlic would be the only worry and with the acid of the vinegar, and refrigeration, no worries. forever.

#1-imo, the acid in OJ is not as strong as that in lemon juiice and my dressings and sauces (chipotle orange sour cream) with orange in them- don't last as long as lemon vinaigrettes. My sign for a vinaigrette/sauce going bad: the top of the container bulges up because of the gasses being released by the product. That said, i'd say 1-2 wks on #1. I have a lime cilantro vinaigrette i make amongst the regulars and it has never gone bad- over months; it hass no dairy except parm cheese; basically: cilantro pesto, lime juice, evoo, red wine vinegar.