A question about a recipe: Spiced Plum Chutney

4ad66517 cc0d 11e5 8155 3c15c2d2bb38  54 full

I have a question about the ingredient "raw unfiltered apple cider" on the recipe "Spiced Plum Chutney" from seasonista.
I do not have apple cider or apple juice or even apple sauce. Is there another substitute that I can use?

asked by emf224 over 6 years ago

seasonista

Great ideas, sfmiller!

The juice does contribute liquid, sweetness, and acidity. I was going to suggest water, a bit of lemon juice, and honey. I think the honey (or agave syrup, or even molasses) would be closer to the apple juice than sugar, but sugar would work also.

Or, for a more spring-ish take on the theme, you could put some berries in it for the sweet/acid, and water for the liquid. Strawberries are showing up in the market where I live, maybe they are by you as well?