A question about a recipe: Spiced Plum Chutney

I have a question about the ingredient "raw unfiltered apple cider" on the recipe "Spiced Plum Chutney" from seasonista.
I do not have apple cider or apple juice or even apple sauce. Is there another substitute that I can use?

• Posted by: emf224
  • April 4, 2012
4a8c145e cc0d 11e5 b958 3c15c2d2bb38  42 full
Recipe question for: Spiced Plum Chutney

Voted the Best Reply!

sfmiller
sfmiller April 5, 2012

The recipe calls for only 1/4 cup of cider, a mild-flavored ingredient, versus 3 cups of plums, plus raisins, garlic, ginger, onions, cinnamon, and mustard, all strong flavors. You could use plain water without sacrificing much.

The cider would contribute some sweetness and acidity, so you could try water plus another teaspoon or two of sugar and a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar. But I doubt it would make all that much difference. Chutneys are pretty forgiving; you should get a tasty result either way.

seasonista
seasonista April 6, 2012

Great ideas, sfmiller!

The juice does contribute liquid, sweetness, and acidity. I was going to suggest water, a bit of lemon juice, and honey. I think the honey (or agave syrup, or even molasses) would be closer to the apple juice than sugar, but sugar would work also.

Or, for a more spring-ish take on the theme, you could put some berries in it for the sweet/acid, and water for the liquid. Strawberries are showing up in the market where I live, maybe they are by you as well?