🔕 🔔

I am making apple pies. Do apple pie experts prefer to precook their apples before baking?

I am making apple pies for a charity event at my local farmer's market. Normally, I just put my filling (raw apples plus sugar and spices and a touch of tapioca) into my crusts and bake. But I have seen several recipes (i.e. Midge's Brown Butter and Cheddar Apple Pie) that precook the apples, and I was wondering what chefs here normally do and why. Also any tips on dealing with pie pastry are appreciated. I still a bit intimidated working with pie crust!

asked by cookinginvictoria over 6 years ago

1abe217e a62b 4595 8b36 0ad05569a205  46011 543839669371 59002344 32042688 2542312 n

i do both and don't have a strong preference either way...precooking allows for a tighter top crust - your filling won't shrink down as much so there's less of a gap between your top crust and filling. for the pastry just keep everything very cold!

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I've not pre-cooked apples when making apple pie. I highly recommend the Cook's Illustrated foolproof pie dough recipe that uses vodka and water. It makes for a wetter dough, which is easier to work with, and you get a beautiful result. If you remove the sage and add 2 T of sugar to the dough recipe Kevin uses in his Cornish Pasties it'll make enough dough for a double crust pie. http://www.food52.com/recipes...

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

I'm definitely NOT an apple pie expert, but I've never precooked the apples.. I like some apple structure in the finished dish. I make sure that the filling sits out for some time in the spices (kinda like marinading I suppose) before it's doled out onto the pie crust & baked..

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

When making apple pies I slightly pre-cook the apples to get the flavors of the sugar and spices to combine. Don't like mushy pies. HardLikeArmour's pie dough recipe from Cook's Illustrated is a great pie dough. She recommended it in another post and it is the only one I use.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

For absolute best results, do a bit of both. If you don't precook, you can have a really big air gap from the top crust (which cooks at the level where it initially rested against the uncooked apples - typically it doesn't shrink down as the apples cook down). If you precook some (not to applesauce, just so that it mushes together the way the final pie normally would) and pack the rest in tight light AntoniaJames recommends, you'll have more apple in your pie and less gap (cook down your full recipe quantity of apples; supplement with another 1/2 recipe of fresh prior to baking).

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I don't cook my apples either, but I do slice them on the thin side so I can pack a lot in. And use 2 or 3 different varieties of apples. I started that when I tested mrslarkins' truly scrumptious apple pie--it adds a lot of depth of flavor.

added about 2 months ago

I love Sweet Tartlet Dough recipe and I do think raw apples need to be finely sliced in pie. I make mind the Irish way like my mum used to.... on s dinner plate. 👌🏻

3d58a659 098e 4534 abd3 a844207353d5  8d38c067 654e 4e5b af62 10b030a54125

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar
added about 2 months ago

It really makes for a completely different dish, so you don't really have to commit one way or the other. One of my all time favorites is Maida Heatter's "Mom's Apple Pie", in which the apples are poached in orange juice. And of course there's Tarte Tatin, in which the apples are cooked with butter and sugar, but that's a bit different from an American pie. Precooking the apples lets you add flavors- for a standard pie, you can limit the top crust problem somewhat by cubing the apples fairly small (if you like playing with knives). I also seem to remember making a tart where raw apple slices were bedded in a layer of apple sauce and, if I remember, finished under the broiler. The vodka pie crust is a pretty good cheat- or for apple pie, you might use rum or bourbon instead.