cooking bacon

A pizza recipe calls for simmering bacon in water for 2 minutes before putting on top of pizza to be cooked in oven. What is the purpose?

asked by Karenmwaters over 6 years ago

One possible purpose is simmering bacon in the water would pull the fat out of it. It would be more like bacon bits. My nephew the chef posted this recipe for bacon bits from real bacon a while back.
http://food52.com/recipes...

Karenmwaters

Thank you that makes perfect sense

jmburns

I agree it is to defeat the bacon. If you don't your pizza would extremely greasy. Think about how much bacon fat is rendered out when you cook bacon. That would now be on your pizza top

jmburns

Degrease the bacon

Karenmwaters

It did just that! Thank you!

farm to table

It's also to cut the salt and sugar in the bacon. The sugar can burn under the high heat used in baking a pizza.

Karenmwaters

Thanks for your help and input!