A FEW OF OUR FAVORITE THINGS. 50 UNDER $50. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

Which neighborhood?

I'm familiar with the Financial District/Chinatown/Downtown areas. Some of my favorite spots in this area:

Financial District/Downtown: B44, Cafe Bastille, Plouf, Brindisi, Paladar Cafe, Spice Kit, Henry's Hunan
Chinatown: R&G Lounge

If you are not looking for sit-down waiter service, I would recommend El Norteno Taco Truck on Bryant Street at 6th (cabeza tacos in particular); Naked Lunch on Broadway; and roasted turkey sandwiches at Arguello Market

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Go to the basement of Macy's and get a Wolfgang puck pizza and enjoy sitting in the sunshine of Union Square.

2e76cf97 2d3d 429e a4b4 7be0bcf4c88d  headshot

For a casual lunch, the ferry building on a tuesday, thursday, or saturday is great - tons of food trucks out with amazing stuff. Other good options are Nopalito in the Western Addition, La Oaxaqueña in the Mission, or Dosa (on Valencia or Fillmore). But the ferry building would be a great option, even if it's not a farmer's market today. Inside, there are lots of permanent stalls with great lunch offerings, like Cowgirl Creamery, Prather Ranch, Delica, and more...

C8ffa92e 3766 46b4 8290 dbef5c382a03  james joyce 1

For "not too fancy" very old school there's always Tadich, the oldest restaurant in San Francisco down in the financial district. I like R&G Lounge a lot too.

The Ferry Building is great because you can just wander around choosing what you want to graze on.

The young guy who used to have Una Pizza Vera Napoletana in NYC has supposedly set up shop in SF. I don't know where. He only makes three kinds, none of which resembles a Wolfgang Puck pizza. His is the real thing.

Zuni Cafe is actually pretty reasonable at lunch and the street car stops almost right outside the door---and I don't mean the cable car which I refuse to ride.

379bb239 c889 475e 8cbf a5af6b9c8df4  image

Absinthe on Hayes In Hayes Valley has a wonderful lunch, soup/salad or other fresh choices; Kuleto's on Geary has great Italian; Mason Cafe on Mason has a huge variety of choices but inexpensive. All around Union Square except Absinthe.

6cb49ef7 38b5 4eb6 aae4 04078f60ca73  how to make a custard part 1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Bar Jules, Tartine, **Canteen {take out and sit in Yerba Buena gardens near waterfall}, Samovar, Delfina pizzeria. If you have any interest in the East Bay: Poulet on Shattuck near Ceder, O Chame, Vik's Chaat House. Have a gorgeous time!

I think most san franciscans can list about 20-50 places they consider "great"... When people ask i end up coming up with a "short" list depending on the neighborhood, type of food, food truck, time of year, etc. One thing I would recommend that's pretty hot right now is this list: http://www.7x7.com/tags.... I do have to add that I think Zuni, Nopa, Dosa, Slanted Door are ones visitors really do like. The suggestion of the Ferry Building is great too. I would highly recommend going to Tartine for a treat (morning bun or bread pudding w/ seasonal fruit). (I also like to recommend visiting Japantown - Bushi Tei & Suzu are good places... restaurants are very hit & miss there so be careful. There is a great manju shop (japanese "pastry") called Benkyodo if you're up for trying something different while you're in j-town.