🔕 🔔

fun ideas for fancy flour?

My sister sent me a bag of super-fancy locally-grown-locally-milled-heirloom-wheat all-purpose flour, and I want to put it to good use. My first (obvious) thought is a loaf of plain old white bread so there's nothing to distract from the wheaty-ness, so to speak, but that won't use it all. Any ideas?

asked by summersavory almost 2 years ago

18b4c5ea 4fcd 4b40 ae35 f46aa73b4abf  img 0848

How about buttermilk biscuits?

mmm. I might have to get some buttermilk tomorrow!

Crackers? There's a recipe for paper-thin cracker sheets on this site. Think it is called carta musica.

It's been a while since I made crackers - I'll look for that recipe. Thanks!

I think your idea of white bread is wonderful.

Thanks! The loaf just came out of the oven and it smells lovely :)

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Modern food product companies are pretty savvy these days. I'd visit the URL printed on the flour bag and look for a recipe section. If you need suggestions, I'd contact the product manufacturer's helpdesk.

It is highly likely that they have previously fielded the question, "What would you recommend to be the first thing to be made with ____ (product)?"

I would think that the people who make the product would have a good idea of what sort of dish/preparation highlights their product in a positive way.

Thanks, cv! I hadn't thought of that, but I just googled the company and they do indeed have a website with a bunch of recipes - including the universally loved no-knead bread recipe for which I actually just used some of the flour! Go figure. Lots of good ideas there to use up the rest of the bag.

Hi,

I'm not surprised that you were able to find a bunch of recipes on the food producer's website. That's food in the 21st century.

Even a small artisanal producer can say "hey, this is something we tried in our own kitchens."

If you like cookies, make a very plain shortbread, biscotti or sugar cookie recipe. Match the high quality wheat with best-available butter, fresh nuts, pure vanilla extract...and taste the goodness.